Revolutionizing Cancer Care with New-age Nuclear Therapies in India
What is Nuclear Therapy?
Nuclear Medicine Therapy is an innovative cancer treatment that's revolutionizing how we fight cancer. It is a precise and targeted approach that uses tiny amounts of radioactive materials to treat cancer cells while sparing healthy ones. This accuracy reduces side effects and improves patient comfort. Unlike traditional treatments, it goes straight to the source of the problem.
Certain types of cancer that are resistant to other treatments, sometimes respond to Nuclear therapies. Nuclear Medicine Therapy effectively shrinks or eliminates tumours, often when other options fall short. Its personalized approach tailors treatment to each patient, promising better outcomes and improved quality of life. This groundbreaking therapy marks a new era in cancer treatment, offering hope and relief to those in need.
Nuclear Therapies in India
- Iodine MIBG Therapy - Meta Iodo Benzyl Guanidine(MIGB) is a high-dose therapy for high-risk advanced Neuroblastoma, a cancerous tumour that begins in the nerve tissue of infants and very young children.
- Alpha PSMA Therapy - Targeted Alpha PSMA Therapy is a targeted, selective internal cellular-level Radiotherapy to control advanced prostate cancer.
- Lutetium PSMA Therapy - Lutetium PSMA Therapy is a treatment for patients with prostate cancer, especially those who have become resistant to conventional therapy. It slows down the growth of the cancer cells, reduces the size of the tumours and reduces the pain caused by the cancer.
- PRRT (DOTATATE Therapy) - PRRT - Peptide Receptor Radionuclide Therapy is a Molecular Therapy, used to treat Neuroendocrine Carcinoma or NETs (Neuroendocrine Tumours) by controlling tumour growth and alleviating symptoms.
- Alpha PRRT Therapy - Alpha PRRT targets cancer cells through the specific receptors that destroy the cells by delivering radiation, meanwhile minimising the toxicity to surrounding healthy tissue.
- TARE(Transarterial Radioembolisation) - Transarterial Radioembolization (TARE), also known as Selective Internal Radiation Therapy (SIRT), is a minimally invasive treatment for liver cancer.
- Radioimmunotherapy - Radioimmunotherapy (RIT) combines radiation therapy with immunotherapy, where an antibody labelled with a radionuclide delivers cytotoxic radiation to a target cell.
- Radiosynovectomy - Radiosynovectomy is a well-established therapy in arthritis and involves an intra-articular injection of small radioactive particles to treat synovitis.
How does Nuclear Medicine Therapy work?
Nuclear Medicine Therapy is a targeted treatment that uses tiny radioactive particles called radiopharmaceuticals, which are delivered into the body through injection or ingestion. These particles are specially designed to seek out and attach to cancer cells. Once attached, they release radiation that precisely attacks the cancer cells, destroying them. This accuracy minimizes damage to healthy tissues, reducing side effects and improving patient outcomes. Nuclear Medicine Therapy is a powerful tool in the fight against cancer, offering a promising and effective way to treat the disease while prioritising patient well-being.
Benefits of Nuclear Medicine Therapy in Cancer Treatment
- Targeted Treatment - Radiopharmaceuticals specifically target the cancer cells and deliver the radiation directly to the site. This minimizes damage to surrounding healthy tissues, improving the therapeutic ratio.
- Precise Localisation - Nuclear medicine allows for precise localization and imaging of cancer at the molecular level. This enables accurate diagnosis and staging, aiding in treatment planning and monitoring.
- Personalised Approach - Nuclear medicine therapy can be tailored to an individual's specific molecular and genetic profiles, allowing personalized treatment plans and increasing the likelihood of a successful outcome.
- Effective for Resistant Cancers - Some cancers, particularly those that are resistant to other forms of treatment, may respond well to nuclear medicine therapy. For example, metastatic bone cancer or certain types of neuroendocrine tumours.
- Minimal Side Effects - Since the medicine is targeted, the side effects of nuclear medicine therapy are generally less severe compared to other methods.
- Non-Invasive and Pain-Free - Nuclear medicine therapies are typically non-invasive and painless for the patient. They do not require surgical incisions.
Nuclear Diagnostics with New-age Technology
In nuclear diagnostics, PET Scans play a vital role by delivering a clear picture of the tiniest lesion in the body, helping in the detection of cancers & tumours at a very early stage.
- FDG-PET Scan for Cancer Staging & Treatment Response
- Ga-68 PSMA PET Scan for Prostate Cancer
- DOTA PET Scan for Neuroendocrine Cancer
- FAPI PET Scan for Lung Cancer
- TRIVEHEXIN PET Scan for Head & Neck and Pancreatic Cancer
- PENTIXAFOR PET Scan for Esophageal Cancer
- EXENDIN PET Scan for Pancreatic Tumour
- Whole Body PET/CT Scan
- FDH for Cancer & Infection Imaging
- FDOPA for Parkinsonism and Brain Tumor Imaging
- 68Ga Radio-Peptides
- Infection Imaging Using 18F – FDG Labelled Leucoytes
- Brain PET/CT
- Cardiac PET/CT for Myocardial Viability
The dual head camera provides high-resolution, three-dimensional functional images facilitating the imaging process via accurate analysis for functional changes in tissue and organs. Some of these include Bone and Joints, Cardiovascular System, Endocrine System, Gastrointestinal System, Nervous System, Respiratory System, Urinary System, etc.
Sarvodaya’s Centre for Nuclear Medicine Therapy and Molecular Theranostics
Centre for Nuclear Medicine & Molecular Theranostics at Sarvodaya Cancer Institute, one of India’s most advanced cancer care centres, combines diagnosis and targeted treatment for cancer & other diseases using new-age nuclear medicine and therapies.
Some cancers respond better to nuclear medicine therapies than other treatment options. We bring a cluster of new-age nuclear therapies, advancing cancer treatment in India. Some of these therapies include PSMA, PRRT, Iodine therapy, Microsphere Therapy and more for managing prostate cancer, neuroendocrine tumours, thyroid tumours and other live & malignant tumours.
We house a state-of-the-art facility with India’s most advanced 4D PET CT coupled with a 6D LINAC to offer precise results & effectively treat & cure cancer. We also have a Gamma camera installed which offers comprehensive treatment for various conditions.
Molecular Theranostics seamlessly integrates diagnosis and therapy for precise and personalised patient care in cancer treatment. It uses specialised molecules, often radiopharmaceuticals, that possess both diagnostic and therapeutic properties.
For diagnosis, these molecules target specific biomarkers or receptors expressed on cancer cells, precisely targeting the cancer cells and providing insights into the exact location, extent and nature of a disease. Simultaneously, they deliver therapeutic medicine directly to the particular cancerous site, maximizing efficacy while minimizing collateral damage to healthy tissues and causing minimum to no side effects.
Molecular Theranostics also holds the potential for early intervention, monitoring treatment response, and even predicting disease progression.