Centre for Dialysis & Kidney Transplant
Centre for Dialysis & Kidney Transplant provides comprehensive care across the spectrum of kidney diseases. The department’s transplant facilities are engineered to deliver quality care and successful outcomes even in ABO incompatible transplants. Our team of experienced doctors is recognised for their superior clinical skills and treats all categories of patients from children to elders. We have an eminent team of kidney transplant specialists, nephrologists, urologists and the technical expertise needed to meet the challenges of this life saving procedure. We offer the most advanced diagnostics, comprehensive pre-operative evaluation and dialysis support, the latest facilities available in surgical procedures, and complete post-operative care to minimize chances of infection.
We also provide dialysis service driven by an efficient team of nephrologists, nurses, and certified haemodialysis technicians along with registered dieticians. Peritoneal, and short daily dialysis and haemodialysis are provided to both children and adults.
DIAGNOSTIC FACILITIES: The nephrology department at Sarvodaya Hospital offers comprehensive medical solution to all kidney ailments complemented by state of the art urological services that makes the department a centre known for Total Kidney Care.
- Helical CT helps in diagnosing the diseases and its assessment.
- CT Scan (128 Slice) & CT KUB
- Digital Radiography: Provides good quality images of Intravenous Urography.
- Ultrasonography: Helps in diagnosing disease of urinary tract in a non-invasive way.
- DEXA Scan
- Body Composition Monitoring
The department of Nephrology provides a comprehensive service for all modalities of renal therapy to an expanding population of patients. Patients are managed by a team of Nephrologists headed by the Chief Consultant who is an experienced Nephrologist and transplant physician. The main areas of expertise of the team include Acute Renal failure, glomerular diseases, kidney transplant and various forms of dialytic therapies.
The OPD consultations are available by appointment, with laboratory back up available under one roof. Tests range from urine analysis, complete renal function test including Blood Urea, Blood Urea Nitrogen, Serum Creatinine, Serum Phosphorus, Protein/Albumin ratio, 24 hour urine for Protein, Creatinine clearance, Urine Culture, Lipid profile & Micro Albumin.
Backing the laboratory is the state-of-the-art Imaging Department which uses digital X-ray facilities, ultrasound, CT scans, etc.that play a vital role in diagnosis. Kidney Biopsy facility is available and is done under real-time sonography guidance with a hospital stay of one day only.
- Haemodiafiltation (HDF)
- Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD) Catheter insertion & training
- Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT)
- Endotoxin removal therapy
- Plasma Exchange
- Hemoperfuration Poisoning treatment
- AV Fistula
- AV Graft
- Permcath insertion
- Kidney Biopsy Haemodialysis Unit
Sarvodaya Hospital has state-of-the-art haemodialysis facilities with latest generation fully computerized bicarbonate haemodialysis machines and volumetric ultra-filtration and adjustable sodium facility to provide better patient safety profile.
There is no exclusion criteria on the basis of infectious diseases, all are treated using the standard precautions. Biocompatible membrane based dialyzers are routinely used with volumetric ultra-filtration. The water is purified using reverse osmosis.
The Haemodialysis unit has 17 dialysis stations with separate station for Hepatitis B patients. The patients will need two or three treatments per week for 3 or 4 hours in each session.
The dialysis unit is backed by state-of-the-art Reverse Osmosis water treatment system, and the quality of water is maintained according to the international standards. R.O. (Reverse osmosis) water for dialysis ensures patient safety and prevents long term complications on haemodialysis. The latest dialysis machines are inclusive of various sensors, meters gauges, monitors, blood leak detectors, computerized apparatus detection systems, various modules measures details & data when the dialysis is in progress.
The Haemodialysis unit also has the facility for continuous monitoring of the sick patient through highly sophisticated monitors throughout the dialytic procedure. Heat clean disinfection of haemodialysis machines after every shift is practised for patient safety. Bedside Dialysis facility is available and routinely performed in ICU for critically ill patients.
- Delivers ultrapure water for Hemodialysis which is crucial for longevity of the patient.
- Offers advantage of survival & improved quality of life when compared to conventional hemodialysis.
- Enhanced safety for patients during dialysis.
- Offers TRUE ‘SLED’ – a modality very often required in critical patients requiring Hemodialysis.
- Near Zero infections.
- Improves anemia, bone & heart diseases.
Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy
We are one of the few centers in India to provide highly sophisticated dialysis for critically ill patients in ICU / CCU with multi-organ failure where peritoneal or routine haemodialysis are not possible for various reasons.
- SLED (Sustained Low Efficiency Dialysis)
- CVVHD (Continuous Veno Venous Haemodialysis)
Advantages of CRRT
- Capable of delivering dialysis to the most unstable and critical patients.
- It can replicate the filtration of patients’ native kidneys in a manner desired by the treating intensivist.
- Can be carried out at a stretch for greater than 24 hours (upto 3-4 days if required)
Plasmapheresis and Plasma Exchange
The facilities for Plasmapheresis and Therapeutic Plasma Exchange (TPE) are available for renal and non renal patients such as GB syndrome and myasthenia gravis. Various diseases like Goodpasture’s syndrome, Hemolytic Uremic syndrome, TTP, Cryoglobulinemia, RPGN (SLE, ANCA-related) can be treated with Plasmapheresis. It is done using Plama filter and 5% Albumin or fresh Plasma.
Hemoperfusion in Poisoning
This procedure is performed using Charcoal cartridge, with an average treatment time of few hours. It is a life saving technique for treating overdoses of sleeping pills, drugs and other poisons.
The aim of the Peritoneal dialysis department is to support patients carrying out their peritoneal dialysis at home. This can be continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) or automated peritoneal dialysis (APD) by machine.
With CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis) a thin tube, called a catheter, is surgically implanted into the abdominal wall. The tube hangs down into the abdominal cavity. You will need to drain a cleaning solution called dialysate through the tube 3 or 4 times a day (having first drained off the used fluid which carries the toxic waste matters away from your body as your kidneys used to do).
CAPD takes place inside the body using the natural lining of the abdomen called the Peritoneum. The Peritoneum acts as the dialysis membrane. In order to do your dialysis by CAPD, you will need to have a small operation (which takes place under a local or general anesthesia) to insert a catheter into your abdomen; CAPD is usually done at home, 4 times every day. It takes less than 30 minutes each time and is a very simple, painless procedure. Because dialysis is carried out at home, patients must be able and willing to take major responsibility for their own care.
The patient will receive expert training from the CAPD nurse, which will give him / her all the expertise and confidence he/she need to be independent. Patient will always have the support and advice of the Renal Unit when needed. And can lead a normal active, working life.
At Sarvodaya, we offer all kinds of kidney transplants, including an advanced ABO Incompatible Kidney Transplant procedure (transplant without a blood type match).
With high success rates, our kidney transplant program is a beacon of quality and hope for patients from across the world. Our centre has high end equipment and state of the art infrastructure with an eminent pool of Nephrologist and Transplant surgeons.
Our Transplant centre is equipped with:
- Dedicated Operation Theatres customized for kidney transplant
- Dedicated state-of-the-art Intensive Care Unit
- Blood bank facility
- High end Laboratory for all tests and investigations
- Diagnostic and Radiology facilities which include 128 Slice CT scanner, 1.5 Tesla MRI machine, high-end Ultrasound facilities
- Dedicated ward and rooms for transplant patients
- Counsellors to take care of all your needs
- Translators for all major international languages
- Dedicated unit manager to take care of your treatment needs and requirements
- Dedicated and trained nursing staff for your pre-operative and post-operative care
- Allogenic Kidney transplant
- ABO Incompatible Transplants (unmatched blood groups transplants) / Donor Swapping
- Minimally invasive (Laparoscopic) donor surgery
- Specialised post-transplant procedures like graft kidney biopsies
- Complete post-transplant care